How to make: Jamaican Guinea Hen Weed (Tea)
by Omari Johnson
- Combine 1 teaspoon of herb with 1 cup hot water.
- Cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and enjoy
The Benefits of using Guinea Hen Weed
Before its cancer-fighting properties were discovered, Guinea Hen Weed, known by South Americans as Amasu, and in Jamaica also as gully root and garlic weed, was reputed to boast an extensive catalogue of other health benefits;
Guinea hen weed is widely used in Jamaica as it is believed to have many benefits. It is said to boost the immune system and has been proven to be effective against harmful organisms such as bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
Some of the other benefits include:
- It is rich in antioxidants.
- It is used as a treatment for cold and flu symptoms and other respiratory conditions.
- It is effective in reducing fevers.
- It is an effective pain reliever.
- It lowers blood sugar.
- It has antispasmodic properties.
- It is effective in the treatment of cancer, as two of the phytochemical compounds in the plant are believed to destroy cancer cells while leaving healthy cells unharmed.
- It is a traditional remedy for arthritis and rheumatism — its leaves can be crushed and made into a paste which can be applied to soothe pains and aches.
- It can also be used to stimulate proper digestion and to relieve digestive problems such as bloating and flatulence.
- It fights infections and stimulates the immune system.
- It promotes the release of toxins through increased sweat and urine production.
- It is also used as a natural insect repellent.
Warning: It has been said however, that pregnant women and those who are trying to conceive should avoid using it because it may cause spontaneous abortions. She also advised that patients with chronic complaints should always seek the guidance of their physician or a trained herbalist before ingesting any herbal teas/supplements.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.